Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Why I do more searching on twitter than on google

In last 6-9 months, most of my searches are on twitter instead of on google or bing. As I stopped to think about why this is the case, few things came to mind:

1. Majority of my searches are for real-time news and/or information
2. For non real-time, research related searches, its useless to use a search engine, instead, I just go to wikipedia.org
3. For real time news, if someone hasn't tweeted about it, its probably not worth my time to read it
4. twitter search is a nice way to determine the importance of an item ( you get to see how many more tweets since you started searching ).

So, while many people think of twitter as something that they don't understand or something that doesn't have business value, if you start using it, you get addicted to it, and eventually this is going to impact the search engine traffic. Not going to see a major dent in search engine traffic in 2010, but I think by 2012, the internet users behavior would have changed.

And, don't be surprised if twitter were to buy google in 2012.

No comments: